Thursday, January 3, 2013

Parenting Lesson: Nothing Stays the Same for Long

Motherhood is hard & it wasn't a subject I ever studied. I never babysat kids below the age of 5, I never  had family members with kids, & I never held a baby below the age of 6 months before they handed Baby K to me in the hospital. Kids freaked me out & it wasn't a secret I wasn't the biggest fan (aside from mine, there are still only a handful of kids I like) It's safe to say, I have kind of had to wing it thus far. However, I have learned a ton. For example: if you have never washed poop off of your kid in a Kmart bathroom & then bought them new clothes because you threw the others away, then you haven't lived properly. Or if you run out of nursery rhymes gangster rap works pretty well. Most of the time parents really love to compare their kids dimensions, & dog food must taste super awesome for the amount of times I have to pry it out of Baby K's fist. However, the number one thing I have learned, while depressing in one breath, is also comforting at 3:30 am while lying on the floor, next to a crib, thinking about how those all nighters in college might have actually taught you something about motherhood. And that little nugget of knowledge goes as follows: Nothing stays the same for long.  

Baby K's mouth has been exploding with teeth as of late & it has been a nightmare (scratch that, for there to be a nightmare I would have actually had to sleep). 3:30 - 5am is now party time & my good sleeper is now singing opera for the whole apartment complex most of the night, but I digress. I must have missed this part in the brochure. But as I said, at least nothing stays the same for long.

That's right folks, the tiny newborn who sleeps 18 hours a day will soon turn into the tiny human who wants to party the night away in celebration of their first tooth cutting through. And for my sake, the latter will soon pass too & she will eventually sleep again. (However, I may need to tattoo that on my eyelids so I have a constant reminder.) These little people won't always want to be rocked to sleep, and probably one day won't want us to hold their hand. That's the sad part of this lesson though, that without fail, our kids will grow up. But right now, this is beautiful beautiful knowledge. By the way, is it nap time yet?

xoxo
K&k

No comments:

Post a Comment