Monday, October 22, 2012

Journey into Real Food: Day 1 - Toast & Zucchini

I have been toying with the idea of baby led solids (if you're not sure what that is click here) for quite some time now. However I have been a little reluctant to try it out because of the whole choking factor. I read up on it though & it eased my fears a bit and so Kadence had some toast & some steamed zucchini slices for lunch. She did really well with it! She gagged a few times, which apparently is completely normal and by the end of her meal she was nom-nom-noming on the toast like a champ!

Day one of BLS was a success over all I would say. We had zucchini steamed, some toast & then I sauteed some zucchini in a little olive oil & Kadence gummed it down for dinner! Tomorrow I think we might try some steamed broccoli & finish off the sauteed zucchini!

Things I have learned thus far about BLW:

  • children learn to chew first, then to swallow. which is the correct order. 
  • gagging is normal & no reason to be alarmed
  • apparently babies turn out to be less picky
  • it tends to be cheaper since you don't have to buy certain foods for the baby you just feed them stuff you already have. 
  • I have found an awesome website with a great timeline of BLS (click here)
  • It's way fun. 


My plans for BLW include healthy foods (non dairy & soy free of course) that I eat. I'm gonna stick to soft foods for a while & also veggies & other non-sweet foods, since I don't want Kadence to have a preference for sweet stuff! I will of course, keep you guys updated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment